Wednesday, November 5, 2014

adult acne

If you thought you would retire from acne around the same time you retired from being a teenager but are still dealing with it, join the club. It can be frustrating to deal with acne when you feel like you've finally grown up in most areas of your life but your skin is lagging behind. I had multiple people ask for this post so if you're struggling with this issue, you're definitely not alone! 

As someone who has struggled with acne on and off for years, I have tried countless acne remedies and treatments. I feel like I've finally found what works for me, but that's the catch: everyone's skin is different so everyone's solution is different. 

Personally, my best acne skincare routine is all about prevention instead of treatment. My acne tends to be more hormonal - a few under-the-skin cysts versus many little pimples. This means that drying acne treatments (i.e. products containing salycilic acid) don't do much for me and I'm better off keeping my skin clean and calm.



I didn't start this routine all at once, but gradually increased use of products so my skin didn't freak out and even now I only use my acne products sparingly. 

Every day I:
  • Wash my face using an acne cleanser once a day at night. I just rinse my face with water in the mornings instead of using cleanser because I find my skin becomes dry if I wash too often.
  • Moisturize with a gel-based moisturizer (any light moisturizer will do). A common mistake people with acne-prone skin make is not moisturizing because their skin is oily and they think moisturizer will make it worse, when actually, your skin will produce even more oil if it isn't moisturized because it's trying to make up for a lack of hydration. Don't believe me? Try using a moisturizing serum before joining the moisturizer club.
  • Avoid touching my face or picking at possible zits. This never turns out well (it will most likely leave the area inflammed or even scarred). Just don't do it!
Two-three times a week I:
  • Use a tea-tree toner post-cleansing and pre-moisturizing. Tea tree is a natural acne-fighting ingredient and makes your skin feel ah-mazing.
  • Use a glycoloic-acid based treatment Glycolic acid speeds up your skin's cell turnover rate, decreasing the chance your pores will get clogged with oil and produce pimples. Exfoliating can be tricky with acne because sometimes the harshness can make a pimple problem worse instead of better, but glycolic acid gently and effectively exfoliates. 
  • Go to sleep with a thin layer of retinol on my face. You can find tons of drugstore products containing retinol these days because its an ingredient found in a lot of anti-aging products. Retinol will definitely make your face worse instead of better initially, so if you're thinking about stealing your mom's wrinkle cream and giving it a try I recommend sticking to it for at least six weeks to see results. (Tip: also apply moisturizer or facial oil over it if your skin becomes dry)
As needed I:
  • Use a spot treatment. If a zit pops up out of nowhere I'll dab a tiny bit of blemish-clearing gel on it. Look for spot treatments containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.
  • Take a prescription pill. I'm in the process of weaning myself off this right now, but it helped me tremendously when I was suffering from moderate acne.
A big part of preventing acne is lifestyle. I believe that drinking a ton of water and exercising regularly helps my skin more than anything else; just make sure you wash your face or use a face cleansing wipes post-workout so the sweat doesn't clog your pores. Also, I know that my cystic acne tends to flare up after consuming a lot of dairy due to the hormones in cow's milk, so I try to limit it as much as possible (except for cheese, duh). Not sure if cutting down on dairy could help you? Try eliminating it from your diet for a couple weeks and see if your skin improves at all.

Keep in mind that it is possible to overdo it. If you get a bad breakout, do not panic and slather every acne product you own on your face because you may do more harm than good. Be gentle with your skin and have patience! In the meantime you can try switching up your foundation/concealer to a higher coverage.

If you still feel like your acne is making you self-conscious I really recommend considering a dermatologist. I found a great skincare routine incorporating a prescription cream, pill and birth control when I was really struggling with my skin a couple years ago.

And the friend you have who never washes her face or even owns concealer? No, it's not fair, but move on! Stressing and being upset about your skin definitely doesn't help the issue.

I hope my skincare routine gave you some inspiration! What do you do to prevent or deal with breakouts?


1 comment:

  1. Grown-up skin inflammation is brought about by very similar things that cause youngster skin inflammation: overabundance skin oil and microorganisms. Any adjustments in hormones, including those welcomed on by pregnancy and feminine cycle, can trigger overabundance oil. Ladies who smoke likewise appear to be progressively inclined to skin break out.

    ReplyDelete